Sachs Harbour

Sachs Harbour, named Ikaahuk ("Where You Cross To") in Inuvialuktun, is the most northerly community in the NWT and part of the Inuvialuit settlement area. It is located on the southwestern shore of Banks Island, off the northern shore of North America. It was named after the Mary Sachs, a ship of the Canadian Arctic Expedition of 1913. Residents rely largely on hunting, trapping and fishing. Tourism also plays a small role. Banks Island is a refuge for geese each summer, and home to a large population of muskoxen. These animals are commercially harvested most years. Although located some distance from the park, Sachs Harbour serves as an administrative centre for Aulavik National Park.

Sachs Harbour is 523 km northeast of Inuvik, and accessed from Inuvik via Aklak Air. Bulk supplies and food are delivered by barge during the summer.

Nualthuyak School provides K-9 education. There is a health centre and an RCMP detachment.

For more information, visit the GNWT’s Bureau of Statistics page

Additional community information can also be found on the LGANT site: http://sachsharbour.lgant.ca.

There is currently no content classified with this term.

Subscribe to RSS - Sachs Harbour