Closing date: May 25, 2018
Location: Tlicho Community Services Agen
Department: JUS North Slave Comm Corr
Job Code: 15547
Salary: $87,263 - $104,208
Job Description: View full job description
About the Job
The mandate of the Department of Justice is to administer justice, including policing, community justice, victims services and corrections in the Northwest Territories. This mandate will be carried out in a manner which respects community and aboriginal values and encourages communities to assume increasing responsibilities.
The Probation Officer supervises offenders who are subject to community based court sanctions/interventions, promotes the principles of restorative justice, public safety and reintegration of offenders. As part of the division team, this position will ensure the ongoing provision of services in keeping with the Corrections Mission, Vision and Value statement.
The Probation Officers scope of work includes:
- Reports to the Regional Manager-Probation, Corrections Service.
- Acts as agent for Correctional Service of Canada (CSC) for community supervision and assessments.
- Caseload and location will vary dependent upon the community to which the worker is assigned up to 55 offenders per caseload.
- A portion of the offender supervision will occur at the community level including home, school and facility visits.
- Supervision of male and female adult and young offenders who are under the authority of Territorial and Federal conditional releases or judicial sanctions.
- Flexibility in respect to hours of work.
- Travel to provide supervision and court coverage in outlying communities.
- Is a Peace Officer and Officer of the Court while on duty.
- Liaises with other agencies, i.e. Facilities, Crown, RCMP, Social Services, counseling resources, in order to effect the proper supervision of offenders.
- Work is directed by legislation (Federal-Corrections Conditional Release Act, Corrections Conditional Release Act, Prison and Reformatories Act, Criminal Code of Canada, Youth Criminal Justice Act, Young Offenders Act, Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and Territorial GNWT Corrections Act, Public Service Act, Access to Information Privacy Protection Act); and specific policies (Corrections Service Directives, Territorial Safety Acts and Legislation and the HR Manual).
These skills would be typically obtained through a Degree in Social Science related field. A diploma in a Social Science related field combined with two (2) year current case management experience in the Corrections / Social Services field.
A class 5 driver’s license is required to perform the duties of this position. Awareness of cultural diversity, specifically, northern Aboriginal traditions and values would be an asset.
Transfer Assignments may be considered.
The incumbent in this position may be required to travel by small plane, to isolated communities for up to 8 days every month.
Driver's License Requirement
A mandatory requirement for this position is a valid Class 5 Driver's License
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
The salary for this position starts at $44.75 per hour (approximately $87,263 per annum) plus an annual Northern Allowance of $5,080.00.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 15547
Closing Date: May 25, 2018 - 23:59, Mountain Standard Time
Management and Recruitment Services
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
Yellowknife Centre 5th Floor
P.O. Box 1320, Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9
Fax: (867) 873-0445