Instructor, Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC)
Closing date: May 27, 2018
Department: Aurora College
Job Code: 15536
Salary: $91,358 - $109,064
Job Description: View full job description
About the Job
Aurora College is focused on student success and is committed to supporting the development of our Northern society through excellence in education, training and research that is culturally sensitive and responsive to the people we serve.
The LINC Instructor is located at the Yellowknife North Slave Campus and reports to the Regional Program Head, Tlicho and Yellowknife. This position secures funding from Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) through the proposal preparation process and is a stand-alone program. The instructor is responsible for the language placement testing of clients, using the Canadian Language Benchmarks Placement Testing (CLBPT) instrument, and the delivery and evaluation of the English as a Second Language program to newcomers to Canada, using the LINC 1-5 instructional resources and IRCC's Portfolio Based language Assessment (PBLA) model.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and understanding of the development, implementation, coordination, delivery and evaluation of English as a Second Language to an immigrant population
- Knowledge of adult education principles, theory, and best practice
- Knowledge and ability to mentor, evaluate, and motivate students
- Knowledge of instructional strategies and styles, especially in a cross-cultural environment
- Knowledge of the Canadian Language Benchmarks Placement Test (CLBPT) testing procedure
- Ability to evaluate students by using the Canadian Language Benchmarks Placement Test (CLBPT) to establish language level and learning objectives
- Knowledge of the IRCC's Portfolio Based Language Assessment (PBLA) model for continuous student assessment, to monitor student progress and provide feedback
- Ability to think creatively, critically, and analytically for program innovation, problem resolution, strategic planning, researching and organizing
- Ability to research and update course materials and delivery methods to maintain current programs
- Proven ability to be adaptable and flexible in teaching approach
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of computer programs such as: word processing, email and Internet programs
- Knowledge of IRCC's iCare client records system
- Ability to create and maintain client records
- Ability to be involved in progressive, relevant and ongoing professional development activities
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
The incumbent would normally acquire the set of knowledge, skills and abilities through Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) certification, certification in Portfolio Based Language Assessment (PBLA), and certification as a Canadian Language Benchmarks Placement Test (CLBPT) Assessor, supplemented by two years' teaching experience at the post-secondary level in a cross-cultural environment. Coursework or certification in adult education would be as asset.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
The salary range for this position is from $46.85 per hour to $55.93 per hour (approximately $91,358 - $109,064).
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Management and Recruitment Services
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
Yellowknife Centre 5th Floor
P.O. Box 1320, Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9
Fax: (867) 873-0445
This job opening is for a 2 Year Term.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 15536
Closing Date: May 27, 2018 23:59, Mountain Standard Time