Bilingual Administrative Assistant
Closing date: May 23, 2018
Department: ECE Francophone Affairs Sec
Job Code: 15514
Salary: $60,762 - $72,540
Job Description: View full job description
About the Job
The Department of Education, Culture and Employment (ECE) provides the residents of the Northwest Territories with access to quality programs, services and support to assist them in making informed and productive choices for themselves and their families with regard to education, training, careers, employment and labour, child development, languages, culture and heritage.
Located in Yellowknife, this position reports to the Executive Director of the Francophone Affairs Secretariat.
The Secretariat provides support and advice to the Minister Responsible for Official Languages and serves as a central support agency for GNWT departments, boards and agencies for French language communications and services within the GNWT. It has a budget of over $2.5 million and a staff complement of 9-10 employees.
The Administrative Assistant provides financial, travel and administrative support to the entire Francophone Affairs Secretariat. The incumbent works closely with the staff of various stakeholder groups, other GNWT departments and agencies, and the federal government to ensure all financial agreements, payments and supports are followed through to completion.
The Administrative Assistant is the first point of public contact with the Executive Director's office and is required to provide information in response to public inquiries about the Secretariat. The incumbent is often called upon to exercise sound judgment regarding when to forward telephone calls and what commitments to make on the Executive Director's behalf or on behalf of other staff. The incumbent ensures a smooth transition of information, work and correspondence between the Executive Director, the staff, the public, other stakeholder groups, the Strategic and Business Planning Division and the Directorate of Education, Culture and Employment. In doing so, the incumbent deals with confidential matters relating to personnel, finance, administration and legal matters. The incumbent works daily in both English and French.
The Administrative Assistant works within the department's guidelines and policies, financial manuals, official languages policies, guidelines and regulations, the NWT Official Languages Act and the Canada-NWT Cooperation Agreement for French and Aboriginal Languages of the NWT.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong communication skills, excellent verbal and written skills and strong interpersonal skills in order to communicate professionally with stakeholder groups, co-workers, senior managers and the general public in English and in French.
- Ability to work effectively in a cross-cultural environment.
- Proven organizational, time management and priority setting skills.
- Ability to assume responsibility and work independently without direct supervision.
- Knowledge of secretarial and administrative practices and procedures.
- Excellent knowledge of computer programs and their applications, including the Microsoft Office suite of programs, Outlook, and financial administration and human resources software such as SAM and PeopleSoft.
- Knowledge of basic records management policies and procedures, including records disposition standards and classification systems, such as the GNWT ARCS and ORCS system.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and an ability to process basic financial transactions, prepare variance reports and O&M projections and to communicate effectively about financial requirements and results.
- Experience with, monitoring and reporting on contribution agreements and service contracts.
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
- A grade 12 diploma and a diploma in Office Administration, Financial Management or Business Administration and two years of similar experience in an office or administrative environment.
The incumbent must be bilingual with the ability to speak, read and write in English and in French.
Transfer Assignments may be considered.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 15514
Closing Date: May 23, 2018 - 23:59, Mountain Standard Time
Management and Recruitment Services
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
Yellowknife Centre 5th Floor
P.O. Box 1320, Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9
Fax: (867) 873-0445
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
The salary range for this position is from $31.16 per hour to $37,20 per hour (approximately $60,762 - 72,540) plus an annual Northern Allowance of $3,450.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.