Instructor, Health Programs
Closing date: May 22, 2018
Department: Aurora College
Job Code: 15497
Salary: $95,589 - $114,134
Job Description: View full job description
About the Job
Aurora College is focused on student success and is committed to supporting the development of our Northern society through excellence in education, training and research that are culturally sensitive and responsive to the people we serve.
The Instructor will be required to instruct in a variety of programs such as Bachelor of Science in Nursing and must be devoted to developing and delivering quality programs and courses and promoting positive career development of adult students within communities of the Northwest Territories. The incumbent is seen as a representative of the College within the community and therefore plays a critical role in creating and promoting a positive image for the College.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Detailed theoretical and practical understanding of specific subject matter of instruction
- Ability to research and update course materials and delivery methods to maintain current programs
- Knowledge of adult education theory, program design, development management, delivery and evaluation
- Knowledge of adult instructional methods, program/project development and management, needs assessment and curriculum development
- Knowledge of educational issues in the NWT and challenges that adult students face in NWT communities
- Knowledge of all applicable laws, acts, regulations, rules, policies, guidelines, requirements, and codes in specific subject matter of instruction
- Knowledge of computer programs such as: word processing, spreadsheet, database, e-mail and Internet programs
- Knowledge of northern culture, cross cultural processes, and politics
- Ability to conduct basic academic counseling and provide life skill coaching
- Knowledge of the organization and structure of the College and the relationships between the College and various partners in the communities and across the Territories
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated human resource and team building skills
- Proven organizational skills
- Proven skills in budgeting and anticipation of long-term needs and requirements of the program
- Ability to be involved in progressive, relevant, and ongoing professional development activities as these activities are a required part of the profile of an instructor
- Proven ability to be adaptable and flexible in teaching approach
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
- Completion of Bachelor's Degree in Nursing
- 3 years' experience as a Registered Nurse
- 2 years' instructional experience in the field of Nursing in post-secondary and/or supervising student nurses
- 2 years' experience working with the Northern health care settings
- A bona fide requirement of the job is a current certificate of registration as a Registered Nurse issued by the Registered Nurses Association of Northwest Territories and Nunavut
- A bona fide requirement of the job is the completion of six weeks of full time coursework in adult education within the first two years of employment and completion of a certificate in Adult Education within five years of hire
- A deep understanding of Aboriginal and Northern education issues
- Coursework or certification in Adult Education
This job opening is two positions:
- One (1) full-time indeterminate position
- One (1) full-time one year term position
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
The salary range for this position is from $49.02 per hour to $58.53 per hour (approximately $95,589 - $114,134) plus an annual Northern Allowance.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID #15497
Closing Date: May 22, 2018 - 23:59, Mountain Standard Time
Management and Recruitment Services
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
Yellowknife Centre 5th Floor
P.O. Box 1320, Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9
Fax: (867) 873-0445