Program Support Teacher
Closing date: Apr 27, 2018
Location: Fort Simpson
Department: Deh Cho DEC
Job Code: 15404
Wage: See "Salary Information" below.
About the Job
Dehcho Divisional Education Council invites applications for the 2018-2019 school year from certified teachers who are dedicated to teaching and have experience and/or interest in the cultural, linguistic and traditional heritage of the Dene.
Thomas Simpson Secondary is a grade 7 through 12 school. The 120 students are predominantly Dene and Métis. School programs support the language and cultural heritage of the students in an inclusive environment that respects the diverse styles and needs of all learners.
The Program Support Teacher is a team leader who provides the central in-school support for teachers with respect to programming for all students under the guidelines of Inclusive Schooling. The professional educator should have a repertoire of instructional, assessment, and behavioural techniques to assist teachers in meeting the diverse needs of all students. S/He should be prepared to facilitate staff training, staff and parent meetings and to co-teach in various classroom settings. Some travel for training may be involved.
- Must hold, or be eligible for a N.W.T Professional Teaching Certificate;
- Must have five years demonstrated successful teaching experience at the grade 7 to 12 level;
- Must be willing to work with teachers in a co-teaching capacity;
- Must have education, training and/or experience in the area of inclusion, assessment and support, literacy and numeracy, differentiated instruction, self-regulation, flexible instructional strategies, and experience with co-teaching;
- Must have understanding of the inclusionary policies in the NWT;
- Should have direct experience with NWT/Alberta curricula;
- Should have direct experience with the development of Student Support Plans and Individual Education Plans;
- Should have training and experience in a cross-cultural, classroom situation;
- Should demonstrate ability to plan and provide programs and supports that reflect inclusion in multi-level classrooms;
- Should demonstrate the ability to lead training workshops for staff;
- Should promote the involvement of parents in a positive and supportive manner and;
- Training in the administration of formal academic assessment tools would be an asset.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 15404
Closing Date: APR 27 2018- 23:59, Mountain Standard Time
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory vulnerable sector check if they are contacted for an interview. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Salary is pro-rated dependent on verified education and experience (ranging from $63,332-$126,897 per annum) plus an annual pro-rated Northern Allowance based on the NWTTA Collective Agreement and an Administrative Bonus.
Reference #: 2018-96-03
Submit application information to:
John Forbes, Principal
Thomas Simpson Secondary
PO Box 252
Fort Simpson, NT