Financial Support Clerk
Closing date: Apr 27, 2018
Location: Norman Wells
Department: INF Regional Program Delivery
Job Code: 15373
Salary: $60,762 - $72,540
Job Description: View full job description
About the Job
This job opening is limited to residents living within the Sahtu Region.
Located in Norman Wells, the Financial Support Clerk reports to, and completes a wide variety of administrative work for the Manager, Finance & Administration.
This position works regularly with 8 client departments regarding asset maintenance and, on average, 10 general contractors regarding work orders and thereby provides financial and administrative support services related to the maintenance of all buildings and works and vehicles owned by the GNWT in the Sahtu.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Basic knowledge of contract law and accounting together with experience in the application of policies and procedures to ensure compliance with GNWT Financial Acts, Financial Administration Manual and related regulations, policies and procedures.
• Knowledge and interpretative skills necessary to enable comprehension of the Motor Vehicles Act, policies and procedures.
• Proven oral and written communication skills to provide advice and assistance to client departments, suppliers and staff regarding the interpretation and application of financial policies and procedures and to maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with department staff and clients and tenants while maintaining confidentiality.
• Strong computer skills, including ability to use financial spreadsheets and financial systems.
• Ability to understand relevant legislation and convey its meaning to the public, and influence positively the compliance with such legislation.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and be able to converse tactfully with representatives of various agencies as well as the general public.
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
Business Administration Certificate program with 1 year of directly related experience in a computerized accounting environment; or,
Completion of Grade 12 with courses in bookkeeping or accounting and 2 years of related experience working in a computerized accounting or licensing environment.
The Department of Infrastructure (INF) provides high quality services to the public and Government of the Northwest Territories’ (GNWT) departments, boards and agencies including the planning, design, construction, acquisition, operation and maintenance of public transportation infrastructure and the buildings, works and equipment required for the GNWT to deliver its programs and services. INF makes essential petroleum products available for sale to the public where these products are not provided by the private sector, and promotes the development and increased use of energy efficient technologies. INF also regulates electrical and mechanical safety services and licenses individuals and vehicles operating in the territory.
For more information please refer to the Department of Infrastructure website at http://www.inf.gov.nt.ca/
Sahtu HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
#2 McKenzie Drive
NORMAN WELLS, NT X0E 0V0
Ph. (867) 587-7150
Fax (867) 587-2173
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID #15373 Closing Date: April 27, 2018 - 23:59, Mountain Standard Time
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Criminal Records Check
Employment in some positions requires an acceptable criminal records check. Possession of a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify candidates from further consideration.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
The salary for this position starts at $31.16 per hour (approximately $60,762.00 per annum) plus an annual Northern Allowance.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Driver's License Requirement
A mandatory requirement for this position is a valid Class 5 Driver's License.