Closing date: Apr 26, 2018
Location: Fort Smith
Department: JUS FSCC
Job Code: 15368
Salary: $72,677 - $86,775
About the Job
This job opening is limited to residents living within 25 kilometres of Fort Smith.
The mandate of the Department of Justice is to administer justice, including policing, community justice, victims services and corrections in the Northwest Territories. This mandate will be carried out in a manner which respects community and aboriginal values and encourages communities to assume increasing responsibilities.
The Corrections Officer supervises incarcerated adults in accordance with operational standards established in the NWT Corrections Division, in order to provide safe and secure custody, rehabilitation of the offender and to facilitate the reintegration of the offender into the communities.
The responsibilities of the position include:
- Ensuring a safe and secure setting that contributes to healthy living and therapeutic environment for inmates while ensuring the safety of public, inmates and other staff
- Supports case management and programs, within established guidelines, in order to prepare inmates for integration into society
- Manages offender by assisting in motivating inmates to contribute to a safe and secure working environment
The following knowledge, skills and abilities are beneficial to the position:
- Proven leadership and team building skills
- Demonstrated ability to act appropriately during crisis/stressful situations
- Demonstrated understanding and ability to assess human behaviour and offender issues
- Demonstrated problem solving and decision making skills
- Proven interpersonal skills with demonstrated verbal and written English communications
- Ability to work in a cross cultural environment
- Understanding of corrections policies and procedures
- Demonstrated knowledge of practical corrections techniques and theories with the ability to exercise sound judgement in application
- Ability to interpret court documents
- Knowledge of and ability to use MS Operating Systems, MS Office, the internet and email applications
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety practices
The following are occupational requirements:
- acceptable hearing and visual acuity
- acceptable ability to distinguish odours
- acceptable ability to speak clearly, loudly and quickly
- acceptable mobility, strength, endurance and balance
Typically the above qualifications would be attained by:
One-year post-secondary certificate in Social Sciences related field with 6 months of related corrections training
2 years of corrections experience
Completion of the NWT Corrections Northern Recruitment Training Program or an equivalent program from another jurisdiction
This position involves a Rotating/Irregular Shift Schedule which may change due to operational requirements.
Driver's License Requirement
A mandatory requirement for this position is a valid Class 4 Driver's License.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
The salary for this position starts at $37.27 per hour (approximately $72,676. per annum) plus an annual Northern Allowance of $6,180.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 15368
Closing Date: April 27, 2018 - 23:59, Mountain Standard Time
Fort Smith HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
83 Breynat Street
FORT SMITH, NT X0E 0P0
Ph. (867) 872-6500
Fax (867) 872-3298