Staff Lawyer III - Family Law
Closing date: May 16, 2018
Department: JUS Community Legal Aid Clinic
Job Code: 15353
Salary: $114,524 - $136,715
Job Description: View full job description
About the Job
The mandate of the Department of Justice is to administer justice, including legal aid services, policing, community justice, victims services and corrections in the Northwest Territories. This mandate will be carried out in a manner which respects community and aboriginal values and encourages communities to assume increasing responsibilities.
The incumbent is required to:
- Work independently on files assigned by the Executive Director under moderate supervision;
- Provide thorough opinions on the merits of applications for legal aid including reference to the relevant law ensuring that the opinions provide a clear basis for the Executive Director's decision to fund applications;
- Recognize that the impact of advice, opinions and service provided on behalf of clients can be critical to and have significant impact upon them and their families;
- Take on files of increasing complexity in custody and child support applications and child protection matters ranging from care agreements to lengthy and complex permanent wardship applications;
- Mentor junior counsel as directed by the Executive Director.
Typically the above qualifications would be attained by:
Law degree with five (5) years of experience as legal counsel practicing in the family law area will be required along with experience working in a legal aid clinic environment.
Transfer Assignments may be considered.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
The salary range for this position is from $58.73 per hour to $70.11 per hour (approximately $114,523.50 - $136,714.50) plus an annual Northern Allowance of $3,450.00.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 15353
Closing Date: May 16, 2018 - 23:59, Mountain Standard Time
Management and Recruitment Services
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
Yellowknife Centre 5th Floor
P.O. Box 1320, Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9
Fax: (867) 873-0445