Community Health Nurse - 6 Weeks Job Share
Open until filled
Location: Fort Good Hope
Department: NTHSSA SA Health Centres
Job Code: 15323
Salary: $98,046 - $114,134
Job Description: View full job description
About the Job
The Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority (NTHSSA) offers challenging and exciting careers in health and social services delivery and administration in Canada’s North. The Territorial Authority has service locations in communities across the territory and a staff of more than 1,600 serving over 43,000 residents of the NWT and 5,900 residents of the Kitikmeot Region of Nunavut. Challenging work, welcoming communities, and expanded opportunities are some of the benefits offered to employees of the NTHSSA.
Located within the Cassien Edgi Health Centre, and reporting directly to the Nurse in Charge (NIC), the Community Health Nurse (CHN), delivers core community health services to residents in Fort Good Hope. The Health Centre is the sole health and social services facility in the community. The Cassien Edgi Health Centre also provides services to a visiting transient population and out of territory clients.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• The CHN must have a working knowledge of and an ability to apply and assess the nursing process (assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation) and current nursing practice (community health nursing, including public health and home care) to ensure that the client's physical, emotional, psychosocial, spiritual and educational needs are met.
• Knowledge of biological, physical and behavioral sciences in order to recognize, interpret, and prioritize findings; and determine and implement a plan of care based on accepted standards of practice, in the GNWT Dept. of Health.
• The CHN must have an ability to provide emergency care and treatment as the position is required to perform transferred health functions beyond normal hospital training. This includes an ability to perform advanced nursing functions such as but not limited to: suturing, vena-puncture for all age groups and immunization techniques.
• A knowledge of and an ability to apply sanctioned transferable medical functions as outlined in the Nursing Administration Manual's standards, policies and guidelines (i.e. pap smears).
• An ability to operate and/or use standard medical equipment (such as but not limited to - ECG, peripheral IV pumps and lines, stretchers, thermometers, NG tubes, sphygmomanometer, blood glucose monitors, suction tubes, sharps, pulse oximeter, x-ray machine, etc.)
• An understanding of and an ability to perform basic laboratory functions such as but not limited to: ESR, HGB, blood smears, pregnancy tests, various swab specimens, the preparation of specimens for culture and sensitivity, ECGs and quality control of laboratory machinery, in accordance to Canadian Laboratory Standards .
• An ability to perform radiological examinations (X-rays) of the chest and extremities and transmit for reading via Di-Pacs computerization.
• An ability to apply and remove casts or splints, emergency stabilization equipment.
• Knowledge of and ability to operate computer applications (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel and electronic medical records) in order to complete training materials and presentations, electronic GNWT email, scheduling of appointments and maintenance of health records (iEHR and EMR, Di-Pacs), Share Point NTHSSA for internal messages, forms, links, and the internet in order to conduct on-line research and People Soft (employment records).
• An ability to educate clients and their families (where applicable) on appropriate self-care methods and techniques.
• Knowledge of and an ability to network resources within and outside the NTHSSA (i.e. Social Services, Public Health, medevac teams etc.) in order to ensure support of clients and their families.
• The incumbent must be aware of the importance of confidentiality and be able to keep personal and medical information private and confidential at all times and in accordance to Access to Information legislation & Public Health, WSCC, etc. mandatory reporting.
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
A Degree in Nursing, 2 years of recent nursing experience with one year in a Community Health Centre, as a Community Health Nurse.
Equivalency Knowledge & Experience: Registered Nurse Diploma Program, 4 years of recent nursing experience with one year in a Community Health Centre, as a Community Health Nurse.
Recent nursing experience is define as a total of full time hours in the past 5 years
Community Health Centre is define in the NWT as a level A, B or B/C facility or equivalency for other provinces and territories
Driver’s License is mandatory
Job Share Position
This Job Opening is for a 6 Weeks Job Share position.
Driver's License Requirement
A mandatory requirement for this position is a valid Class 5 Driver's License
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
The salary for this position starts at $49.02 per hour (approximately $95,589.00 per annum) plus an annual Northern Allowance.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 15323 Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Sahtu HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
#2 McKenzie Drive
NORMAN WELLS, NT X0E 0V0
Ph. (867) 587-7150
Fax (867) 587-2173