District Controller - 1 Year Term
Closing date: May 6, 2018
Department: NHC - District Operations
Job Code: 15298
Salary: $104,618 - $124,898
About the Job
The Northwest Territories Housing Corporation provides access to adequate, suitable and affordable housing through the provision of housing programs and services based on need.
This position is located in the Housing Corporation’s Beaufort Delta District Office in Inuvik. The incumbent reports directly to the District Director. The District Controller has fiduciary responsibility for the Financial Human Resource and Administrative Affairs of the District; is accountable for the management of financial systems, safeguards corporate assets, prepares, issues and distributes financial reports, maintains internal financial controls, ensures financial management processes and practices are maintained and are operating effectively in the District Office and LHOs, and provides training, development and support to Corporate and Local Housing Organization staff.
The District Controller is also responsible for contracting processes and mortgage administration. The duties of the position have an impact on the District Office, LHOs, contractors and individual corporation clients in the Beaufort Delta District. The incumbent is also responsible for the financial operation of eight (8) communities housing agencies in the Beaufort Delta District.
The magnitude of the budget impacted by this position is $6.4 million in Capital; $1.9 million in O&M District Operations; $6.8 million in LHO Contributions; and $7.7 million in Mortages & Loans.
There are three (3) employees reporting to this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), generally accepted auditing standards, public sector handbook accounting standards, financial analysis and fiscal planning;
• Knowledge of financial activities in a Corporate environment;
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to solve complex problems and provide conflict resolution;
• Knowledge of the Human Resource management and administrative practices;
• Knowledge of the Territorial Lands Act and Regulations;
• Knowledge and experience in mainframe accounting systems;
• Excellent Organizational skills;
• Excellent computer skills including in-depth knowledge in computer software application using PC software, ACCESS, MS Word, Excel, Windows and off the shelf accounting software;
• Excellent communication skills both orally and in writing, in order to communicate effectively in meetings and through presentations in a workshop setting;
• Ability to operate effectively in cross-cultural environment.
TYPICALLY, the above qualifications would be obtained by:
These knowledge, skills and abilities are typically obtained through the completions of a Canadian professional accounting designation (CGA, CMA, CA or CPA) and three (3) to (4) years of working experience in the Financial Management and two (2) years supervisory experience.
Monthly Travel to small communities for a total of two to four days per trip is a requirement of the position with a possibility of unanticipated travel delays due to weather.
This job opening is for a 1 Year Term
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
The salary for this position starts at $53.65 per hour (approximately $104,617.50 per annum) plus an annual Northern Allowance.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 15298
Closing Date: May 6, 2018 - 23:59, Mountain Standard Time
Inuvik HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
66 Franklin Manor
INUVIK, NT X0E 0T0
Ph. (867) 678-6600
Fax (867) 678-6620