Closing date: Feb 26, 2018
Location: Jean Marie River
Department: Deh Cho DEC
Job Code: 15155
Wage: See "Salary Information" below.
About the Job
Dehcho Divisional Education Council
Dehcho Divisional Education Council invites applications, for the 2018-19 school year, from certified teachers who are dedicated to teaching and have experience with the cultural, linguistic and traditional heritage of the Dene.
The small community of Jean Marie River located 130 km south of Ft Simpson with access by road year round. Dene language and culture are an important part of the school program supported by the community. The relationship to the land is emphasized in many aspects of the school program. Programs for students are organized around key outdoor experiences, which include hunting, fishing, trapping as well as sports such as soccer and skiing.
This JK to grade 9 school has a population of 8 students. In addition to teaching duties, the principal will supervise one staff member who provides special needs assistance. The incumbent will demonstrate a willingness to promote a culturally relevant program that supports the language and cultural heritage of the students. S/He will be expected to provide an integrated literacy program using the Daily 5. The incumbent is responsible for all of the administrative duties and reporting that is required by the Council and the Department of Education Culture and Employment. The principal is required to provide leadership to staff and work with the District Education Authority in a professional, co operative and supportive manner.
- must hold, or be eligible for a Professional N.W.T. Teaching Certificate
- must hold N.W.T. Principal Certification or enroll in the training program
- have a minimum of five years experience teaching experience at the JK – 9 levels
- Training and/or experience in education administration
- Active and consistent professional development
- Competency with school-based technologies
- Knowledge and/or experience with Inclusive Education
- Cross cultural teaching experience
- Multi-level teaching experience
- Knowledge and/or experience with Self Regulation Differentiated Instruction and Positive Behavior Support
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory vulnerable sector check if they are contacted for an interview. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Information on salary and benefits, as outlined in the Northwest Territories Teachers’ Association Collective Agreement, is available through accessing the website listed below:
Priority for Northwest Territories Teachers' Association positions shall be granted as follows:
- Priority 1: Teachers who have received official lay-off notice;
- Priority 2: Indigenous Aboriginal Persons;
- Priority 3: Indigenous Non-Aboriginal or Resident Disabled Person;
- Priority 4: Indeterminate Teachers eligible for Transfer or Promotion and not included in Priorities 2 & 3;
- Priority 5: Term teachers not included in Priorities 2 & 3;
- Priority 6: NWT Resident Teachers not employed by the GNWT or included in Priorities 2 & 3;
- Priority 7: Teachers who are not residents of the NWT and who are not included in Priorities.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Closing Date: February 26, 2018 Reference #2018-96-002
Interested and qualified applicants will submit a resume complete with references; the names of previous and current supervisors with a copy of the most recent performance review. Current and previous employers will be contacted for references. Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check from the RCMP if they are contacted for an interview. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem the candidate disqualified from the competition process.
Submit application information to:
Ms. Sandra Tanche Telephone: (867) 695-7307
Administration Officer Fax: (867) 695-7359
Dehcho Divisional Education Council
P.O. Box 376
Fort Simpson, NT X0E0N0
This job opening is for a term Teacher/Principal (Full time, TERM 1-5 YEARS)