Health Information Specialist 3 - Closing date extended
Closing date: Jan 31, 2018
Department: Northwest Territories HSSA
Job Code: 15066
Salary: $67,607 - $80,691
Job Description: View full job description
About the Job
The Health information Specialist 3 is responsible for record security, data quality, and record completion in order to protect the interests of the patient as well as the organization. The incumbent is responsible for the interpretation and application of very broad and general facilityspecific guidelines and territorial legislation as pertains to physician documentation. The Health information Specialist 3 applies knowledge of current professional practice and legal requirements in determining patient activity and the appropriateness of supporting documentation. Knowledge, understanding, and ability to interpret and apply Acts, regulations and legislation are essential for the security of patient information. This position is also required to apply this knowledge to the confidentiality and release of patient information. This incumbent requires frequent consultation with Physicians, nursing, and registration staff to direct them in maintenance and corrective measures to ensure the accurate and timely documentation of approximately 1000 inpatient encounters annually and approximately 28,000 ambulatory encounters annually. The incumbent is responsible for the accurate assignment of diagnostic and procedural codes of all encounters in accordance with the current classification scheme and territorial guidelines. This position provides professional guidance and advice to eight community health centers with respect to all aspects of health information management practices.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Experience working with data collection software such as "WinRecs"
• Experience coding inpatient, day surgery and ambulatory encounters
• Strong working knowledge of classification systems (ICD-10CA and CCI)
• Ability to read and interpret medical documents and apply technical knowledge and professional judgment to discern and extrapolate code enabled data
• Advanced computer skills working with applications such as MS Word and MS Excel
• Accurate typing speed of 50 wpm
• Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally to a variety of audiences
• Strong communication skills required
• Knowledge of northern cultures as they may relate to health care
• Knowledge of internet research methods an asset 11.Analytical and critical thinking skills
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision 13.Strong Organizational and excellent interpersonal skills.
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by.
Graduate of a recognized school for health information management professionals
Current certification with the Canadian College of Health information Management (CCHIM) and active Canadian Health information Management Association (CHIMA) membership
Minimum one year experience working as a Health Record Technician
Must have one year experience coding, abstracting and transcribing medical dictation
The successful candidate will be required to obtain proof of current up-to-date immunization status.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
The salary for this position starts at $34.67 per hour (approximately $67,606. per annum) plus an annual Northern Allowance.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 15066
Closing Date: January 31, 2018 - 23:59, Mountain Standard Time