Junior High Teacher
Open until filled
Location: Behchoko (Rae)
Department: TliCho CSA
Job Code: 14947
Wage: See "Salary Information" below.
Job Description: View full job description
About the Job
Junior High Teacher – Chief Jimmy Bruneau School
(TERM position January 2018 – June 2018 with a possibility to extend)
- Term position for January to June 2018, with possibility to extend.
- Junior High teacher required for a K-12 school.
- The appropriate candidates will be prepared to actively promote self-regulation, culture-based education, and an inquiry-based learning model in the classroom.
- These classes span varying ability levels so the appropriate candidate will be experienced in offering individualized instructional plans and various student support strategies accordingly.
- The successful applicant must be prepared to include literacy strategies in their instruction across all subject areas.
- Candidates must be prepared to engage in ongoing collaborative and professional dialogue about their instructional, assessment, and reporting practice insofar as it relates to student learning. Active and positive participation in Professional Learning Communities are a required approach to ongoing professional growth in our region.
- The ideal applicant will be an educator with cross-cultural experience, and with a strong commitment to community, students and a cross-cultural team environment.
- Balanced literacy, self-regulation and play-based inquiry are expectations for the learning model. Flexibility, organizational, and interpersonal skills are also required.
Candidates must have acquired a Bachelor of Education and be eligible for a Northwest Territories Teaching Certificate.
The following criteria will be important considerations in the hiring process:
- Two years recent teaching experience
- Recent teaching experience particularly in a northern community
- Knowledge of, or commitment to become knowledgeable of the prescribed NWT Curricula
- Proven experience implementing a balanced Literacy and Numeracy Program
- Experience in multi-grade classrooms using Differentiated Instruction
- Training and experience integrating technology in the classroom to improve instruction
The Tlicho Community Services Agency is a unique organization
responsible for the delivery of education, health and social services
within the Tlicho region. The Tlicho Community Services Agency's vision 'Strong Like Two People' is a metaphor for the desire by community leadership to build an organization, and create programs and services that recognize the strength and importance of two cultures.
This job opening is for a Term to June 29, 2018
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Salary is pro-rated dependent on verified education and experience (ranging from $78, 600 – $126, 897 per annum) plus an annual pro-rated Northern Allowance based on the NWTTA Collective Agreement.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory vulnerable sector check if they are contacted for an interview. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Priority for Northwest Territories Teachers’ Association positions shall be granted as follows:
Priority 1: Teachers who have received official lay-off notice;
Priority 2: Indigenous Aboriginal Persons;
Priority 3: Indigenous Non-Aboriginal or Resident Disabled Person;
Priority 4: Indeterminate Teachers eligible for Transfer or Promotion and not included in Priorities 2 & 3;
Priority 5: Term teachers not included in Priorities 2 & 3;
Priority 6: NWT Resident Teachers not employed by the GNWT or included in Priorities 2 & 3;
Priority 7: Teachers who are not residents of the NWT and who are not included in Priorities.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 14947
Open Until Filled.
Tlicho HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
Nishi Khon Building, 2nd Floor
P.O. Box 419
Ph. (867) 392-3053
Fax (867) 392-6861