8 Week Job Share - Charge Nurse - Operating Room/PARR
Open until filled
Department: Northwest Territories HSSA
Job Code: 14796
Salary: $87,263 - $104,208
Job Description: View full job description
About the Job
The Inuvik Regional Hospital (IRH) is a 47 in-patient bed accredited facility in Inuvik, the referral center for regional residents of the Inuvik and Beaufort-Delta Regions (7 communities). The IRH provides health care services to adults and children on an inpatient/outpatient and outreach basis in order to enhance healthy communities through excellence, accountability, and respect for regional diversity.
Located within the IRH, and reporting directly to the Manager, Nursing Units, the O.R. Charge Nurse supervises two OR staff nurses, one SPD aide and is responsible for the booking and administration of the Operating Room. The incumbent may function in the role of the Circulating Nurse or Scrub Nurse during a surgical procedure with the provision that the Circulating Nurse must be a trained Perioperative Nurse. The position also encompasses the role of Recovery Room Nurse. There will be a minimum of two nurses’ during each regular day shift Monday to Friday, 0730 to 1530 and on call after hours and on weekends for emergency surgical procedures.
The Charge Nurse, Operating Room must have.
• Advanced knowledge of and an ability to apply standardized nursing processes (assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation) and current nursing practice to ensure that the adult/pediatric patients' physical, emotional, psychosocial, spiritual, educational and daily living needs are met.
• As an IRH specialist in assisting with surgical procedures the Charge Nurse, OR must be able to provide training, advice and assessment using specialized equipment, medications, tools and techniques (including but not limited to minimally invasive surgical equipment, electrical surgical units, crash carts, autoclave, etc.)
• An ability to educate patients and their families (where applicable) on appropriate self-care methods and techniques.
• Advanced knowledge of biological, physical and behavioral sciences in order to recognize, interpret and prioritize findings and determine and implement a plan of action based on accepted standards of practice.
• Computer skills in order to send and receive electronic mail and conduct research over internet.
• Knowledge of and ability to operate word processing applications (i.e. Microsoft Word) in the completion of report writing, etc.
• The incumbent must be aware of the importance of confidentiality and be able to keep personal and medical information private and confidential at all times.
• An ability to operate and/or use standard medical equipment (such as but not limited to ECG, peripheral IV pumps and lines, stretchers, , thermometers, NG tubes, vital signs machines, blood glucose monitors, pulse oximeter, etc.).
This level of knowledge is commonly acquired through the successful completion of a Nursing Degree, the completion of an OR specific training program (3 to 6 months) and two years recent experience within a surgical setting as well as prior experience in a supervisory capacity in a health care setting.
Eligible for current registration with the Registered Nurses Association of the Northwest Territories and Nunavut is mandatory for this position.
For more information on health and social services careers and practicing in the Northwest Territories please visit www.practicenorth.ca .
The successful candidate will be required to obtain proof of current up-to-date immunization status.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
The salary for this position starts at $44.75 per hour (approximately $87,263.00 per annum) plus an annual Northern Allowance.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory vulnerable sector check if they are contacted for an interview. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 14796
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Inuvik HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
66 Franklin Manor
INUVIK, NT X0E 0T0
Ph. (867) 678-6600
Fax (867) 678-6620
Job Share Position
This Job Opening is for a 8 Week Job Share position.