Home Support Worker
Closing date: Oct 27, 2017
Department: Northwest Territories HSSA
Job Code: 14770
Salary: $60,762 - $72,540
Job Description: View full job description
About the Job
Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority – Yellowknife Region (NTHSSA) is one of eight health and social services authorities established by the Department of Health and Social Services in the Government of the Northwest Territories.
NTHSSA – Yellowknife Region delivers and administers Population Health, Primary Health Care and Social Services programs in the communities of Dettah, Fort Resolution, Lutselk’e, N'dilo and Yellowknife.
Our mission is to work with people to optimize wellbeing through the provision of collaborative and culturally appropriate health and social services.
Located in Yellowknife and reporting directly to the Supervisor, Home Support Workers, the incumbent is one of ten (10) Home Support Workers who provide culturally sensitive, respite and ADL care to clients of the Home Care program in Yellowknife, Dettah and N'Dilo. The Home Support Worker visits 4-5 clients a day. In most cases, the Home Support Worker visits the client independently, working with minimal supervision.
Clients of the Home Care Program are individuals of all ages who usually require ongoing care but are not at the point where they require 24-hour complete care. These clients include but are not limited to long-term convalescent, geriatric, respite, surgical or medical patients who live within their home and community and require scheduled treatment, care and/or support.
Critical Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and an ability to apply basic first aid and CPR in order to preserve life and promote healing
- Knowledge of healthy aging process
- Knowledge of traditional healing methods as well as community and cultural norms
- Knowledge of the community and its resources and ability to work in a multi-disciplinary setting
- Sensitivity to geographical and cultural diversity
- Ability to apply bandages dressings
- Ability to use medical equipment (including but not limited to mechanical lifts, palliative care bed/recliners, etc.)
- Ability to work shift work (i.e. evenings and weekends)
- Ability to problem solve independently
- An ability to speak, read and write English (this includes an ability to follow verbal and written instruction and interpret health information accurately
- Ability to drive (operate a motor vehicle) in order to transport themselves to and from different homes as well as transport clients
- The incumbent must be aware of the importance of confidentiality and be able to keep personal and medical information private and confidential at all times.
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
This level of knowledge is commonly acquired through the successful completion of grade 12 and the successful completion of a Long Term Care Aide or Personal Care Attendant program and 3 months directly related, recent, experience in a home care setting or other health care setting as a home support worker or personal care attendant.
Driver's License Requirement
A mandatory requirement for this position is a valid Class 5 Driver's License.
The successful candidate will be required to obtain proof of current up-to-date immunization status.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
The salary range for this position is from $31.16 per hour to $37.20 per hour (approximately $60,762.00 - $72,540.00 annually.) plus an annual Northern Allowance of $3,450.00
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 14770
Closing Date: October 27, 2017 - 23:59, Mountain Standard Time
Management and Recruitment Services
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
Yellowknife Centre 5th Floor
P.O. Box 1320, Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9
Fax: (867) 873-0445