Manager, Supreme Court Registry
Closing date: Sep 26, 2017
Department: JUS Court Registries and Ops
Job Code: 14714
Salary: $95,589 - $114,134
Job Description: View full job description
About the Job
The mandate of the Department of Justice is to administer justice, including policing, community justice, victims services and corrections in the Northwest Territories. This mandate will be carried out in a manner which respects community and aboriginal values and encourages communities to assume increasing responsibilities.
Scope of Work:
- Supervises staff of seven;
Holds the following statutory appointments:
- Deputy Clerk of the Supreme Court
- Deputy Registrar of the Court of Appeal
- Deputy Sheriff
- Deputy Registrar in Bankruptcy May hold the following appointments:
- Notary Public
- Deputy Registrar of the Federal Court
- Conducts hearings and renders decisions on Bankruptcy and Taxation matters;
- Answers complex inquiries on documents for 2 different courts (Appeal and Supreme Courts) plus the Sheriff's Office;
- Processes Bankruptcy documents (orders, notices, etc.); On occasion conducts Bankruptcy Hearings;
- Resolves the more complex interpreting of court policies, procedures, Rules of Court and legislation for members of the legal community, general public and other clients;
- Examines, returns or accepts complex or uncommon documents for filing and/or issuing on behalf of the Sheriff, Appeal and Supreme Courts in order to determine compliance with legislative requirements (e.g. Rules of the Supreme Court, numerous (approximately 25) territorial and federal Acts, Court policies and procedures) so that the documents can form part of the official file within strict time constraints;
- Thorough understanding of the legal implications/ramifications of issuing and/or filing the documents in compliance with legislative requirements and within specified timeframes in order to avoid potential lawsuits against the Courts, Court personnel or the GNWT and the inherent financial and possible human implications;
- Performs statutory functions with no direct supervision;
- Must conduct oneself at all times (including outside office hours) in a manner that will not cause the administration of justice to be or be seen to be in disrepute;
- Must at all times ensure that the independence of the judiciary is upheld; Settle and sign all orders and settle and issue all judgments made by a judge;
- Regular contact with public, legal community, judiciary and other clients to provide and receive information.
TYPICALLY, THE ABOVE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE ATTAINED BY:
Paralegal, criminology or related degree with a minimum of 3 years of experience in the legal or justice environment with a significant amount of time spent applying/interpreting legislation and dealing with the public. Comprehensive knowledge of courtroom and registry services and a minimum of one year supervisory experience dealing with human resource and financial issues.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
The salary range for this position is from $49.02 per hour to $58.53 per hour (approximately $95,589.00 - $114,133.50) plus an annual Northern Allowance of $3,450.00.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 14714
Closing Date: September 26, 2017 - 23:59, Mountain Standard Time
Management and Recruitment Services
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
Yellowknife Centre 5th Floor
P.O. Box 1320, Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9
Fax: (867) 873-0445