Closing date: Oct 20, 2017
Location: Fort Smith
Department: JUS FSCC
Job Code: 14697
Wage: See "Salary Information" below.
Job: On Demand
About the Job
This job opening is limited to residents living within 25 kilometres of Fort Smith, NT.
The mandate of the Department of Justice is to administer justice, including policing, community justice, victims services and corrections in the Northwest Territories. This mandate will be carried out in a manner which respects community and aboriginal values and encourages communities to assume increasing responsibilities.
This position reports to the Food Service Supervisor or Facility Manager and has indirect responsibility for inmate work crews of up to 12 inmates at mealtimes. The incumbent is responsible to assist in the implementation, and instruction of those offenders participating in apprenticeship cook program. The incumbent also adheres to and maintains operational priorities and objectives and participates in the orientation training and mentoring of new employees and/or relief workers. The incumbent is a Peace Officer while on duty and their work is directed by legislation (Public Service Act, Access to Information Privacy Protection Act, Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms); and specific policies (Corrections Service Directives and Territorial Safety Acts and Legislation).
The position has the following responsibilities:
- Facilitates the delivery of food services to inmates and staff.
- Provides safe and secure custody of inmates within the facilty to ensure the safety of society, inmates and staff.
- Provides direction to staff and inmates to contribute towards an effective, efficient and motivated working environment.
The incumbent should have the following knowledge skills and abilities:
- Ability to adhere and monitor a budget in the planning and preparation of meals.
- Proven ability to plan and prepare meals for large numbers of people.
- Ability to maintain and keep appropriate records to ensure efficient service levels.
- Purchasing and inventory control ability.
- Knowledge of food service procedures and practices and applicable health, safety (WHMIS), and sanitation standards.
- Proven leadership, interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- Proven ability to supervise and instruct inmates.
- Proven ability to adapt and be flexible in a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to work in a diverse environment.
- Excellent ability to communicate openly and effectively with an innate ability to build and maintain high, effective, strong working relationships.
- Some knowledge of nutrition.
- Knowledge of and ability to use MS Operating Systems, MS Office, Internet and Email programs.
Typically these qualifications are attained by the completion of the Red Seal trades certificate (3 years) or 3 years of general food service experience in a camp or institutional setting.
The incumbent must be First Aid and CPR certified (or obtain within 3 months of hire) and possess a Class 4 driver's license (or be able to obtain within 4 months of hire).
This position involves a Rotating/Irregular Shift Schedule which may change due to operational requirements.
This job opening is for a Relief position where there are no established hours of work on a daily, weekly or monthly basis and may be required to report to work on an as and when required basis for facilities where services operate on a daily basis throughout the entire year.
Driver's License Requirement
A mandatory requirement for this position is a valid Class 4 Driver's License
The salary for this position starts at $34.67 per hour plus an annual Northern Allowance of $6,167.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory vulnerable sector check if they are contacted for an interview. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 14697
Closing Date: October 20 - 23:59, Mountain Standard Time
Fort Smith HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
83 Breynat Street
FORT SMITH, NT X0E 0P0
Ph. (867) 872-6500
Fax (867) 872-3298