Supervisor, Child and Family Services
Open until filled
Location: Tlicho Community Services Agen
Department: TCHSSA Social Prog Support
Job Code: 14676
Salary: $91,358 - $109,064
Job Description: View full job description
About the Job
The Tlicho Community Services Agency is a unique organization responsible for the delivery of education, health and social services within the Tlicho region. The Tlicho Community Services Agency's vision 'Strong Like Two People' is a metaphor for the desire by community leadership to build an organization, and create programs and services that recognize the strength and importance of two cultures.
This position functions in the role of supervisor, supporting the work of Community Social Services Workers (CSSWs). The day-to-day workload is often crisis oriented and unpredictable. The incumbent will be primarily supporting the activities of CCSWs in their management of child protection and family services.
The caseload carried by the incumbent is approximately 15 families. Caseload typically includes children and families with the most complex needs. Tight and inflexible deadlines are imposed by legislation and the courts, and must be met.
Critical Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- The incumbent requires knowledge of and ability to implement social work theories, practices and procedures. The incumbent requires knowledge and understanding of pertinent legislation and policies including the Child and Family Service Act, the Adoption Act, and the Social Work Profession Act.
- Specific knowledge and abilities in the areas of needs and risk assessment, family dynamics, the impact of trauma and child protection theories, models and practices. The incumbent requires knowledge of case management, risk assessment, case conferencing and investigation and intervention theories and practices.
- The incumbent must be able to respond or assist in emergency situations and have very good interpersonal, mediation, negotiation, leadership, supervision and conflict resolution skills. Must have well-developed organizational, verbal and written skills, interviewing and analytical skills.
- The incumbent must be flexible, adaptable and able to work effectively in a variety of settings and in cross-cultural situations and be knowledgeable of the services available in the community. An added complexity includes understanding and implementing the community based Tlicho Cosmology model as it applies to social work practices.
- The incumbent must be able to work as a team member in a multi-disciplinary setting.
- The incumbent must have an understanding of crisis management and the ability to deal with life threatening situations including domestic violence and the prevention of suicide.
- Computer skills specific to word processing.
Typically the above qualifications are obtained by:
A Masters Degree in Social Work plus five (5) years of experience. Two (2) of these five (5) years of experience are obtained in a supervisory capacity in the field of social work that includes child protection work. Two (2) of these years are obtained in an aboriginal context preferably, in a northern, aboriginal community. Employment is contingent on obtaining and maintaining the GNWT Child Protection Appointment.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
The salary for this position starts at $46.85 per hour (approximately $91,358 per annum) plus an annual Northern Allowance of $5,072.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory vulnerable sector check if they are contacted for an interview. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 14676
Open till filled.
Management and Recruitment Services
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
Yellowknife Centre 5th Floor
P.O. Box 1320, Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9
Fax: (867) 873-0445
This job opening is for a 1 Year Term.