Early Childhood Consultant
Closing date: Jul 28, 2017
Department: ECE Early Chilhood Development
Job Code: 14544
Salary: $79,658 - $95,102
Job Description: View full job description
About the Job
The Department of Education, Culture and Employment (ECE) provides the residents of the Northwest Territories with access to quality programs, services and support to assist them in making informed and productive choices for themselves and their families with regard to education, training, careers, employment and labour, child development, languages, culture and heritage.
Reporting to the Regional Superintendent, North Slave, this position is located in Yellowknife and is responsible for the delivery of the Early Childhood Program to clients in the North Slave Region (Yellowknife, Dettah, N'dilo, Behchoko, Whatl, Gameti, Wekweeti and Lutselk'e). The incumbent is responsible for assisting communities and community groups to plan, design, and deliver effective programs and for ensuring that these programs and services meet the required standards. There are approximately 75 licensed centre based programs and day homes in the Region. The position has an impact on the public, clients, and other government departments such as Health and Social Services (Environmental Health) and Municipal and Community Affairs (Office of the Fire Marshal) .
The position has commitment authority on negotiated contracts and contribution agreements up to $100,000.00 as outlined in individual program guidelines and policies. The incumbent works as part of the North Slave regional team in managing a regional budget of $2,300,000 in order to provide effective delivery of Early Childhood Program (ECP), as well as Healthy Children Initiative (HCI) and Small Community Initiative (SCI).
The effective delivery of early childhood programs enhances the credibility of the Department and creates a positive image of the GNWT's commitment to early childhood education.
KNOWLEDGE,SKILLS ANO ABILITIES
- Knowledge and experience of early childhood development and programs in a program delivery setting.
- Knowledge of early childhood development and learning theory and to work effectively with clients and ensure programs and services are meeting client needs.
- Ability to develop, assess, monitor and evaluate early childhood programs.
- Ability to foster effective relationships with community groups In a cross cultural setting.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, verbal and written communication skills, listening skills and the ability to present views and ideas in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to effectively deliver presentations and workshops.
- Ability to work with little supervision and the ability to lead or be a member of a team.
- Effective analytical, interpretative, evaluation and investigative skills
- Ability to Interpret and apply Acts, Regulations, policy, financial and procedural documents and explain them accurately and clearly to clients.
- Strong computer skills, including familiarity with Windows-based programs. word processing, spreadsheets, communications software and basic trouble-shooting.
- Ability to obtain a valid First Aid, Infant/CPR certificate and keep it valid.
- Ability to travel to remote communities in the NWT
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained through:
- A Diploma in Early Childhood Education and 4 years of recent, directly related experience, or a Bachelor's Degree in Early Childhood Education and 2 years of recent, directly related experience;
- Valid Class 5 Driver's License
Program supervisory experience is considered an asset to this position.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Management and Recruitment Services
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
Yellowknife Centre 5th Floor
P.O. Box 1320, Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9
Fax: (867) 873-0445
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 14544
Closing Date: July 28, 2017 - 23:59, Mountain Standard Time
The salary range for this position is from $40.85 per hour to $48.77 per hour (approximately $79,658 - $95,102) plus an annual Northern Allowance of $3,450.