Closing date: Jun 1, 2017
Location: Fort Simpson
Department: Deh Cho DEC
Job Code: 14374
Wage: See "Salary Information" below.
About the Job
Dehcho Divisional Education Council invites the applications for the 2017-2018 school year from certified teachers who are dedicated to teaching and have experience and/or interest in the cultural, linguistic and traditional heritage of the Dene.
Bompas Elementary School in Fort Simpson offers a diverse range of programs to 105 students in Junior Kindergarten to Grade 6. There are seven teachers, three support staff, one janitor and one secretary.
The successful candidate will be a strong and dedicated educator who will work as a team member to use data to drive school-based decisions that affect student learning. The candidate will demonstrate a holistic, interdisciplinary approach to teaching in an inclusionary classroom. S/He will promote the involvement of parents in a positive and supportive manner.
Principals form the core of the regional education leadership team focused on improving literacy and numeracy achievement results. The successful candidate will be known for their effective management skills, which include up to date skills with information and communications technology for office and classroom use.
Candidates will possess a high standard of professionalism and the ability to work effectively within an environment that includes developing meaningful and productive relationships with students, parents, professional and community service agencies. This includes being committed to working effectively with the locally elected District Education Authorities (DEAs) to provide a quality education or students.
This position will require a motivated and resourceful individual who will not be easily discouraged by a higher-than-normal level of challenge.
- Must hold, or be eligible for a N.W.T. Teaching Certificate;
- Must have a minimum of five years elementary (JK-6) school teaching experience;
- Must have relevant experience and/or training in education administration;
- Must have completed, or be willing to complete the Education Leadership Program;
- Should be knowledgeable about and comfortable with technology including school-based applications for attendance and student demographics;
- Should have training and teaching experience in cross-cultural and multi-grade classroom situations;
- Should have training and/or experience in Inclusive Schooling; and
- Should have knowledge of current educational practices such as Daily 5 and Self Regulation.
This job opening is for a term Principal (Full-Time, TERM 1-5 years)
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
In accordance with the current NWT Teachers' Association Collective Agreement at: www.hr.gov.nt.ca/Policy/nwtta
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory vulnerable sector check if they are contacted for an interview. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Closing Date: JUN 01, 2017- 23:59, Mountain Standard Time
Interested applicants are required to submit the following documentation by June 1, 2017
- Cover letter, resume and 3 references, including current supervisor,
- Statement (1 page max) outlining your educational/leadership philosophy
- Most recent evaluation
Ms. Sandra Tanche
Administration Officer Telephone: (867) 695-7307
Dehcho Divisional Education Council Fax: (867) 695-7359
P.O. Box 376
Fort Simpson, NT X0E 0N0