Program Support Teacher
Closing date: May 2, 2017
Location: Fort Simpson
Department: Deh Cho DEC
Job Code: 14260
Wage: See "Salary Information" below.
About the Job
Dehcho Divisional Education Council invites applications for the 2017-2018 school year from certified teachers who are dedicated to teaching and have experience and/or interest in the cultural, linguistic and traditional heritage of the Dene.
Bompas Elementary School is a Junior Kindergarten through grade 6 school. The 106 students are predominantly Dene and Métis. School programs support language and cultural heritage of the students in an inclusive environment that respects the diverse styles and needs of all learners.
The Program Support Teacher is a team leader who provides the central in-school support for teachers with respect to programming for all students under the guidelines of Inclusive Schooling. The professional educator should have a repertoire of instructional, assessment, and behavioural techniques to assist teachers in meeting the diverse needs of all students. S/He should be prepared to facilitate staff training, staff and parent meetings and to co-teach in various classroom settings. Some travel for training may be involved.
- Must hold, or be eligible for a N.W.T Professional Teaching Certificate;
- Must have five years demonstrated successful teaching experience at the JK to 6 level;
- Must have education, training and/or experience in the area of inclusive education, assessment and support.
The following criteria will be important considerations in the hiring process:
- Should have an understanding of the inclusionary policies in the NWT;
- Should have direct experience with NWT curricula at the Junior Kindergarten to grade six level;
- Should have training and/or experience with literacy and numeracy, differentiated instruction, self-regulation and Daily 5;
- Should have direct experience with the development of Student Support Plans and Individualized Education Plans;
- Should have training and experience in a cross-cultural, classroom situation;
- Should demonstrate ability to plan and provide programs and supports that reflect inclusion in multi-level classrooms;
- Should demonstrate the ability to lead training workshops for staff;
- Should promote the involvement of parents in a positive and supportive manner and
- Training in the administration of formal academic assessment tools would be an asset.
Only complete resumes including cover letters and completed Criminal Records Check will be accepted.
Salary is pro-rated dependent on verified education and experience (ranging from $63,332 - $126,897 per annum) plus an annual pro-rated Northern Allowance based on the NWTTA Collective Agreement and an Administrative Bonus.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory vulnerable sector check if they are contacted for an interview. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Priority for Northwest Territories Teachers' Association positions shall be granted as follows:
- Priority 1: Teachers on approved leave;
- Priority 2: Teachers who have received official lay-off notice;
- Priority 3: Indigenous Aboriginal Persons;
- Priority 4: Indigenous Non-Aboriginal or Resident Disabled Person;
- Priority 5: Indeterminate Teachers eligible for Transfer or Promotion and not included in Priorities 3 & 4;
- Priority 6: Term teachers not included in Priorities 3 & 4;
- Priority 7: NWT Resident Teachers not employed by the GNWT or included in Priorities 3 & 4;
- Priority 8: Teachers who are not residents of the NWT and who are not included in Priorities.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 14260
Closing Date: MAY 02, 2017 - 23:59, Mountain Standard Time
Kelley Andrews-Klein, Principal
Bompas Elementary School
PO Box 499
Fort Simpson, NT