Summer Student Employment Program
Closing date: Aug 15, 2017
Location: Across the NWT
Department: Human Resources
Job Code: 13931
Wage: See "Salary Information" below.
Job Description: View full job description
About the Job
The GNWT supports northern post-secondary students in their pursuit of a higher education by offering a summer work opportunity. Students gain valuable work experience to enhance their employment prospects upon graduation.
Northern post-secondary school students are hired as casual employees between April 15 and August 15. During this time period, students are given a higher priority over non-student applicants for casual positions.
Students are encouraged to be proactive in their search for employment with the GNWT. Research the GNWT to find departments with units and divisions related to your field of study. Approach managers directly indicating you are interested in working for their department. Hiring is based on the individual needs of Departments, Boards and Agencies, so managers will contact students directly if an opportunity arises.
You must be a current resident of the Northwest Territories and meet ONE of the following criteria:
- Are being accepted to attend full time post-secondary studies at the start of the winter or fall semester.
- Are completing a semester of full time studies at a post-secondary institution within the four months prior to applying under this program.
How to Apply
- Submit your cover letter, and a current copy of your resume as one document through the Summer Student Employment Program job posting on the GNWT Careers site. Once your application has been submitted, an immediate auto-reply will be forwarded to your email.
- You will be required to provide proof of registration in a post-secondary institution. Please submit to email@example.com. You will receive another notification once you have been registered for the program, or if additional information is required.
- You will be contacted by a hiring department if a potential match is found.
Helpful Hints for your Application
In order for your application to be considered, your cover letter and resume MUST INCLUDE the following information:
- Your field of study (Education), type of certification (Diploma/Degree) and the number of years you have completed in your program.
- Your updated contact information including your email address, phone number and address at school AND your permanent NORTHERN residence.
- Your home community and the communities you are willing to work in for the summer.
- Your Affirmative Action status, if applicable
The salary for summer student employment will be dependent on duties assigned.
Criminal Records Check
Employment in some positions requires an acceptable criminal records check. Possession of a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify candidates from further consideration.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 13931
Closing Date: August 15, 2017 - 23:59, Mountain Standard Time
Management and Recruitment Services
Department of Human Resources
Government of the Northwest Territories
Laing Building 3rd Floor
P.O. Box 1320, Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9
Fax: (867) 873-0445